Chipotle Tumbles as Health Woes Continue

Chipotle Mexican Grill shuts Virginia restaurant down after reports of illnesses

Chipotle Mexican Grill spokesman Chris Arnold says the company is aware of a "small number" of illnesses linked to a store in Sterling, Virginia

Chipotle has shut down a location in Sterling, Virginia, after eight reports were made to the website iwaspoisoned.com stating that at least 13 customers fell sick after eating there from July 14-15, according to Business Insider.

The company’s executive director of food safety, Jim Marsden, told Business Insider: “We are working with health authorities to understand what the cause may be and to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

The reported symptoms are consistent with #norovirus. #Norovirus does not come from our food supply, and it is safe to eat at Chipotle.”

Norovirus is different from E. coli, the bacteria that led to a widespread outbreak at Chipotle restaurants in 14 states two years ago.

Cases of norovirus stemming from restaurants can often involve a worker who failed to wash his or her hands after going to the bathroom.

The virus is highly contagious and causes symptoms like stomachaches, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. It’s the most common cause of food-borne illnesses in the US with more than 21 million cases annually.

Chipotle (CMG) has dealt with norovirus cases in the past. In December 2015, nearly 120 Boston College students fell sick after a norovirus outbreak at a restaurant close to campus.

STOCKWINNERS

To read timely stories similar to this along with money making trade ideas, sign up for a membership to Stockwinners.

The article does not constitute investment advice. Each reader is encouraged to consult with his or her individual financial professional and any action a reader takes as a result of information presented here is his or her own responsibility.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.